For the past two days we have risen with the sun and took an active part in consciously witnessing and actively participating in our daily renewal. Awaking prior to sunrise, and staying awake, allowed for a full day. The last wishes have been granted, gifts have been purchased and wrapped, donations delivered, and now… it is all about sleeping; preferably in heavenly peace.
How Much Sleep Do We Need?
While there is no universal or “magic” number when it comes to the adequate hours required by people for optimal performance blanketing any age or gender groups due to various variables specific to each individual. But of course, we always have guidelines.
What To Do About Those Variables:
While there are some variables that we cannot control when it comes to the amount of sleep we each individually require, such as genetics, we can diminish or even eliminate factors collectively referred to as our sleep debt. Sleep debt is the accumulated sleep lost to not so helpful lifestyle habits and environmental distractions. Combat some of the most common sleep balance busting culprits by establishing new bedtime rituals to ensure more pleasant nights.
Creating Your Bedtime Ritual
Night owls are known for hooting on and on about how they do their best work at night and the office hours of creative types often reflect this. Recent research shows that most people feel their most creative at around 10:04 p.m. and find the afternoons to be their least creative time of the day. But let this not discourage us from hitting the sack. The following are essential.
- Clean It Up: Ensure your resting place is naturally cleansed on a weekly basis without the use of any toxic chemicals or disposable paper towels or cloths that leave a nasty carbon footprint and a trail of dust behind. While we’re on it, do your best to make sure that any dust that may have settled on the headboard, night tables, ceiling fan(if in use), and floor are removed on a daily basis. Do so and you’re physically eliminating a common sleep debt factor in addition to the mental and emotional debris that may have accumulated within during the course of the day. This is the time to set the stage.
- Air It Out: It amazes me how many people never crack a window. It’s as if we value our central air and heating more than we cherish our health. I open every window everyday for at least 15 minutes, preferably when home alone; with caution of course. The air inside our homes tends to be two to five times more polluted than the air outside! So, open up and let the good stuff in. Remember that whole thing about living in harmony with nature and healing the Earth? Allow the winds to blow away the stagnant and bring in the fresh. Here is a link to 11 Facts About Indoor Air Pollution. Still want to hold onto what you’ve got? That’s cool too. I do understand that with 75% of Americans living with someone suffering from respiratory illness, including asthma and allergies, additional measures must be taken. I recommend investing in an air purifier (there are models on the market under $15) and let it do its work. Into scented oils, room sprays, candles, or incense? Now is the time to further set the scene for our silent night. As we already know, we only want the good stuff. Later on you’ll find a few of my personal recommendations of therapeutic grade, aromatic, essential oils that naturally help you relax and fall into a restful sleep.
- Wash it Away: Now we get to the decadence. We have set the stage and scene let’s focus on the star. One of the greatest things about lapsing to luxury is finding the great pleasure that we once missed in the simplest things in life, bathroom time included. For most of us this is the one place and time that we are completely alone. Rather than rush through it to a sleepless night revel in it and reflect on all that is right. I live right here on the same planet as you so I know everything will never go right any given day. But after you take the time to give thanks for that which did review and then wash away all that did not down the drain during your herbal cleansing bath or shower. If you’re soaking add a few drops of the aromatic, therapeutic grade, essential oils later recommended into the water, swish around, and enjoy as Cleopatra once did. No oil on hand? How about preparing a sachet of herbs and tossing it in under running water and let them work their herbal magic. Still not happening? Reach into the pantry and pluck out one of those chamomile tea bags that you keep in the house just because everyone you have ever known has kept a box stashed and drop it in. Those of you that prefer to get squeaky clean while standing in an upright position can consider adding drops of the oil to your favorite chemical free, unscented body wash or lotion or simply apply directly to skin as specified as part of your evening grooming regimen.
- Take it In: Now that you’re ready for your close up, it time to hit the set. Earlier we learned that 10:04 p.m. seems to be the time people are most creative. When we are most receptive more intuitive insights on what may have baffled us hours prior simply because we are in a more relaxed and distracted state of mind. Check out The Inspiration Paradox from The Scientific American. This is the time for us to take a seat in the room so wonderfully prepared and take an out of the box look at those items we reviewed in the last step that didn’t go exactly as we would have liked that day. Take it in, the answers you will find to the questions that puzzled you, the words you should say to best express yourself at the meeting tomorrow, that million dollar idea, book , or masterpiece you’ve been dancing around for the longest. Feel free to include music, meditation, and especially keeping a written record of your nightly performance. Having a written record holds many benefits one of which is assisting in allowing you forget about it for the time being and focus on the restful night ahead.
- Turn it Off: As you feel the oils and your increasing peace of mind begin gently lull you to sleep turn off and unplug all appliances, with the exception of the air purifier, heater, alarm clock when necessary. The television and radio with their standby lights go. As does the smartphone. Decrease your sleep debt a much as possible. May you sleep in heavenly peace.
Need a hand with setting up your space for the best sleep possible and finding the great products I have mentioned? As your life stylist, I am available seven days/week to grant all of your ritual residential cleansing & staging and holistic home and wellness product needs. Get in touch by calling, schedule and appointment online, Buy Gift Card Now!
Young Living’s RutaVaLa Roll-On (patents pending) is a proprietary blend of Ruta graveolens (rue), lavender, and valerian essential oils that promotes relaxation of the body and mind, soothes stressed nerves, and induces sleep.* In an easy to apply roll on bottle applied to pulse points as a perfume
Angelica oil (Angelica archangelica) has soothing qualities that help relax nerves and muscles. In Germany, angelica was historically referred to as the “oil of angels,” in part because of its ability to calm anxiety, restore happy memories, and bring peaceful sleep. Traditional medicine practitioners used angelica as a stimulant, digestive tonic, and expectorant.Dietary: Dilute one drop with V-6™ Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex or other vegetable oil (e.g., virgin coconut, olive, almond). Put in a capsule and take up to three times daily or as needed. Topical: Dilute one drop with V-6 or other vegetable oil; apply to desired area. Aromatic: Diffuse up to 30 minutes three times daily. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health-care practitioner prior to use. Avoid direct sunlight for up to 12 hours after applying product.
SleepEssence contains four powerful Young Living Therapeutic Grade™essential oils that have unique sleep-enhancing properties in a softgel vegetarian capsule for easy ingestion. Combining lavender, vetiver, valerian, and Ruta graveolens essential oils with the hormone melatonin—a well-known sleep aid—SleepEssence is a natural way to enable a full night’s rest. Take 1–2 softgels 30–60 minutes before bedtime.